Shared Value Solutions (SVS) - the firm I work for is currently hiring a water resources specialist - intermediate. The job ad is below for more details. If you have any questions about the work we do at SVS or what the role could entail please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Environmental Scientist: Water Resources Specialty (Intermediate)
Closing: October 21, 2016
Are you an experienced consultant who is looking for an opportunity to make a difference with your work on water resource issues? This might be the job for you.
Shared Value Solutions (SVS) works with Indigenous communities in Canada to provide the evidence to protect and advance their rights and interests. We are seeking a qualified Environmental Scientist with a speciality in surface water and some knowledge of groundwater issues (e.g. groundwater and surface water interactions), with at least five years of relevant professional experience to assist us with:
• Technical and peer reviews of environmental assessment reports, regulatory plans, and permits
• Design of water quality, hydrologic and watershed monitoring, remediation and assessment programs
• Meetings and consultations with industry and government representatives, providing expertise in water resources issues
Some experience with the Duty to Consult and the incorporation of Indigenous knowledge in environmental processes would be strong assets. The ideal person will be highly entrepreneurial and align with our relationship-based approach to business development.
Salary and benefits are competitive and negotiable.
Mandatory Qualifications and Experience
• At least 5 years professional experience in the water resources service areas listed above, with at least 2 of those years spent working in Canada.
• Masters Degree in environmental science, physical geography, or an equivalent field
• Experience designing, leading, and conducting baseline and other water quality and hydrologic field studies in lotic and lentic environments, as part of environmental assessment or other regulatory applications
• Knowledge of and experience applying hydrologic and water quality predictive modelling for environmental impact assessment purposes, particularly assimilative capacity modelling
• Experience in the design of water resources monitoring and assessment programs at site and watershed scales
• Strong plain language and technical written and oral communications proficiency, including technical report writing and presentations, and presentations for non-technical audiences
• Interest in and respect for Indigenous culture and history
• Experience effectively managing projects with budgets of at least $50,000
• Experience managing and leading interdisciplinary teams
• Experience representing clients or government agencies in meetings and consultations related to environmental assessments or other environmental regulatory processes
• Entrepreneurial spirit, including an interest in and experience with relationship-based approaches to business development
• Experience working directly for or with First Nation, Metis and/or Inuit communities or organizations in Canada
• Experience teaching and training others in water resources issues and assessment methods
• Experience working in the consulting sector as a Water Resources Specialist
• Tribunal or regulatory board hearing experience
• Knowledge of and experience with GIS and database applications
• Knowledge of industrial water or wastewater treatment methods and approaches
• Other asset qualifications include: land use planning, communication and consultation programs, working with Indigenous knowledge (aka “traditional knowledge”), community economic development, conflict resolution, multimedia story-telling, creative facilitation approaches
Please send your resume via email to:
Nichole Fraser MacDonald
Managing Partner, Shared Value Solutions
We will be accepting applications until October 21, 2016. Late applications may be considered.
About Shared Value Solutions
SVS is a small, rapidly growing 20-person environmental and community development consulting firm located in Guelph, Ontario, Canada, that works primarily for Indigenous community clients. The position will involve some travel across Canada and to northern communities.
We assist Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities and private sector companies in coming together to create shared value for all parties involved. Our mission is to “have fun, make money, do good, and do good work”. For more information: www.sharedvaluesolutions.com and www.facebook.com/SharedValueSolutions.